Monday, August 15, 2011

My Thoughts on The Word and Baptism



The Bible is like a jigsaw puzzle of

a breath-taking image. Looking at one

small part isn't quite the same as

viewing the work of the artist in it's

entirety. Each piece fits nicely into

the next, and the more that you study it,

the more you begin to see

the image come to life.

~ Time-Warp Wife





Dear Darlene,



Would you believe I found your blog and a great many others thanks to the Top 25 Faith Blogs competition run recently? And it has been a strange kind of blessing. Blogs like yours and Courtney's at Women Living Well have been calling me to read the archives every day and sign up to email notifications when a new blog is posted.



Where am I at, today? Our church traditions are lovely, but there are aspects that don't sit well and don't move me, don't inspire me to be closer to God. I almost feel that the baptism certificate is nothing more than a piece of paper signed and blessed by the church, and it's what's in my HEART that actually counts.



So, here I am, a new reader of your blog, and I was wondering if you had some suggestions for me. I am looking for a Bible study. Something I can do on my own, maybe have feedback with others online via forums or something similar.



Where I am, I have never seen a Christian bookshop to date, but am certain they exist, or there is always a way to order something through the Internet and have it shipped. I have my grandmother's Bible, which she gave to me when I turned 16, and though it is a little hard to understand, it's in good condition. I would appreciate any suggestions you might have for me. :)



Oh, the original reason for my email! In June and July, I loved your housekeeping printables. They helped to keep me on track during the day and the past 2 months I really felt like I had more time--always a good thing. One thing I noticed on August's housekeeping printable is that the "daily upkeep" list is no longer included, which I found to be very helpful. I have the tasks written down on my August printable, but was wondering maybe if you'd had much feedback. Would you consider putting them back on for September?



Wow - I didn't intend to write such an essay, but maybe it was time for me to reach out to someone. I love my husband and my children and am looking for a little bit of guidance if you have time to offer it.



Sincerely,



A New Reader







Dear New Reader,



Thank you so much for your letter. I'm blessed to hear that you are a new reader, and love that you were able to find Courtney and I online. God is good!



In regards to your baptism. You said that you almost feel that your baptism certificate is nothing more than a piece of paper signed and blessed by the church. That is correct--the certificate is nothing more than a piece of paper that will wither away in time. However, the demonstration of your faith and your obedience to God is worth so much more. Baptism is symbol of our purification from sin, as we are dead to sin, but alive through faith in Christ Jesus.



Baptism is a gift of obedience to our Lord and a witness to the world around us. The work taking place in your heart is definitely the most vital part of a baptism, but by allowing the church the honor of walking you through it, you are sharing the message with others by declaring the Lord's death and resurrection. That in itself is a beautiful thing!!


Some readers might be thinking, I'm already saved from my sin through repentance and faith in Jesus Christ, so what is the point in being baptized? The answer is simple--obedience to that faith. Jesus was sinless, but because He was obedient to The Father in every way He went down to the river to be baptized by John.


Now let's talk about Bible studies!! I have an annotated study Bible that I have found to be an incredible study in itself. I like to read a few chapters and then study the side notes and flip to the cross references. I started doing that several years ago with The Dake's Annotated Study Bible, and it's been an incredible resource for me.


Another very good study Bible is John MacArthur's. Both of these should be available at Amazon. Study Bibles however can be pricey at times. Sometimes all we have (and all that our forefathers had) is the Bible as it stands alone. But let me tell you this--it might seem difficult to understand all of the "thees" and the "thous" and the customs of the day, but the Word is so incredible that God will use it to speak directly to you. As you keep reading it gets easier and it all makes more sense. The Bible is like a jigsaw puzzle of a breath-taking image. Looking at one small part isn't quite the same as viewing the work of the artist in it's entirety. Each piece fits nicely into the next, and the more that you study it, the more you begin to see the image come to life.



For online study, I'd suggest checking out Good Morning Girls. I've heard that they will be studying 1 John for 12 weeks, this fall and it might be what you are looking for. I also have a couple of Bible studies that you can find in my table of contents that you might want to check out. But with that said, I have to add that nothing beats getting together with women in small Bible study groups at a church nearby if there are any available. I used to be involved in a group called, "Ladies Morning Out," and I have to say that those years were some of the best. We studied the word, drank coffee, and made crafts. It was a ton of fun that not only encouraged me in my faith, but also resulted in long-lasting friendships.


Another thing I would suggest is checking out some of the audio messages at "Grace to You." John Macarthur is a wise and gifted speaker. In fact I have a button to their site in my right hand sidebar. :)



Finally... the printables. Did I do that? When I changed the format of the calendar I didn't realize that I omitted the daily upkeep. I'll definitely put that back for September's print out. Thanks for the heads up!



You are loved by an almighty God,



Darlene



For comments or questions, contact me at:

darlene[at]darleneschacht.net



Find Time-Warp Wife on facebook: Click here



If you would like to have Time-Warp Wife delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here: Subscribe to Time-Warp Wife

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive