Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Setting the Stage for Their Future


I attended a wedding once where the groomsmen wore white and the bridesmaids dressed in black. Not your standard black dresses, but rather floor-length svelte dresses with long black gloves. Every detail of that wedding was breathtaking including the way that the meals were served. The waiters marched through with sparklers on trays held high in the air--evidence that this wedding was something to celebrate.

They set the stage for one of the biggest days of their lives.

A few years ago, my children attended “Avalanche Ranch” at a small church nearby. The Old-West theme was echoed throughout the church, including a store-front prop that someone had made especially for the event complete with a front deck. The woman in charge of decorating was incredibly talented, and this wasn’t her first rodeo. I had the privilege of seeing her work on a few other occasions where each and every time I was blown away by her talent.

I love how she set the stage for that week. The minute that my kids walked in the door I knew that they wanted to be there. I wanted to be there too!

Being a mom who's in the trenches of raising her children, I think about the various ways that I'm setting the stage for their future. Is my lifestyle a positive reflection of my faith? Do I draw them to Christ?

Knowing that so much of their attitude is a reflection of mine, I have to check and recheck my mood as we move through each day:
  • What is my attitude about rising early?
  • Am I reaching my hand out to the poor?
  • Do I enjoy my role as a homemaker?
  • Is the relationship I have with my husband one to be desired?
  • Do they know that I love them dearly?
  • Do they see my love for God above anything else?
If you don't know the answer to these questions, ask them! It makes for great conversation and by finding out the way that they view your role as a parent, you may discover areas in which you lack joy.

The other day my son's friend was over and about an hour into his visit he said to me, "You must really love God!" That made my day. It also made my day when my daughter recently accused me of flirting with my husband. Guilty.
Consider this:
By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." ~ John 13:35, NIV
Loving others means that we will be patient, kind, and humble. Whether we are standing in line at the grocery store, stuck in a long line of traffic or doing dishes at the kitchen sink--our attitude is setting the stage for their future. Choose well.

You are loved by an almighty God,

Darlene

If you'd like to leave a comment, visit Time-Warp Wife on facebook: Click here

If you would like to have Time-Warp Wife delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here: Subscribe to Time-Warp Wife


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive