Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Heart of Simplicity - Book Review

The Heart of Simplicity:
Foundations For Christian Homemaking

From the hearts of over a dozen Christian women…to yours





I was handed a copy of this eBook a few weeks ago when one of the contributing authors asked me if I'd be willing to review it. Knowing that Jennifer Ross was involved I was interested enough to at least check it out. I already enjoy her blog and I loved her homemaking DVD, which is why this book intrigued me, and besides that I recognized a few of the other writers as well.

First off, I have to say that whoever chose the writing team for this project is brilliant. She knows talent when she sees it and after reading through the book, so do I. In every chapter I found myself clicking through links to see who the author was.

I started highlighting some of my favorite parts, and when all was said and done I was left with little more than a yellow manuscript. I couldn't possibly share them all with you, but I will share a few of my favorite lines:

When we realize that we must come to the end of ourselves to gain through Him, our vision is clear, our strength is renewed, and our joy is made full. Homemaking truly is a beautiful calling that brings joy beyond words.


Men tend to have a great need to be respected and the Scriptures are very clear that wives must respect their husbands. The way we behave from day to day with our husbands says a lot about our love for them.

The issue here is not “his role vs. my role.” It’s forgetting that even though we fill different roles within the marriage, we need to fill those roles in such a way that our lives are intertwined with each other, instead of running next to each other, like parallel lines.


Our homes should be places of rest and security. In a hostile and busy world, marriage should be a sanctuary. The culture we live in has abandoned the sanctity of marriage, largely because we have abandoned God and His heart for marriage.

As mothers, our hope is to be clothed in strength for the coming days. As I age and the influence of my life continues on into my children and their children and their children’s children, my hope is that they will know their grandmother trusted in the Lord and had a heart towards heaven. 


And my favorite...


Instead of just raising “good little kids,” I pray that we will raise dangerous men and daring daughters who will expand the kingdom of God. Our kids are like arrows . . . but they need to be sharpened and aimed and released . . . so they can hit God’s bulls-eye mark.

From the Website...

Today’s typical lifestyle is marked by busyness, consumerism, and stress. We, as women, often complain that there’s not enough time to “do it all.”

Do we suffer from a lack of time? No. We suffer from a lack of eternal perspective.

How we invest our time on earth will impact eternity in a million ways. Join over a dozen Christian women as we learn how to simplify our lives from the inside out and build homemaking foundations focused on Christ.

When we are faithful to focus on what is truly essential in our homemaking, we can build an eternal legacy... one simple day at a time.

Find out more about the book and meet the writers at, The Heart of Simplicity:


You are loved by an almighty God,

Darlene

If you'd like to leave a comment, visit Time-Warp Wife on facebook: Click here

If you would like to have Time-Warp Wife delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here: Subscribe to Time-Warp Wife

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive