Monday, April 23, 2012

Love is a Gift - Not a Swap of Emotions - And a Titus 2sday Linkup!


My marriage is wonderful, and my husband is incredible, but let me also say that our relationship isn’t perfect—it takes work. There have been some rough patches and some days when he didn't seem all that "wonderful" to me, and I will venture to guess that he's felt the same way.

Love is like an oak tree that, when nurtured and watered, takes root. We have storms that leave us feeling confused and miserable, but we put effort into seeing them through, because both Michael and I know that with each passing season those roots are growing beyond what our senses observe.


Like most young couples, we started out eager yet unprepared. I was a young bride believing that love was give and take, and that a 50/50 partnership was ideal. As long as I was willing to meet Michael halfway on everything, we’d be just fine. But experience soon taught me that unless I was willing to give 100 percent of myself to this marriage, without expectation of return, my gift of love was little more than a swap of emotions.

Love is a gift, and if we hand over a gift with one hand open while the other is closed, the gift is lost in exchange. Marriage isn’t a barter system, and love isn’t a currency.
  • It’s exercising patience when your husband’s habits are grating on every one of your nerves
  • It’s kindness when your partner is grumpy
  • It’s being humble enough to lose an argument when you feel that you’re right
  • It’s holding your temper when he says something in anger
  • It’s protecting his reputation from your own tongue
  • It’s trusting in his capabilities to handle a difficult task
  • It’s standing strong in difficult times
The question then would be, Why are we planting seeds without an expectation of return?

The answer is because we aren't planting them for the sake of our husbands or for ourselves, we plant them for the sake of our Lord who loved us before we loved Him, and who gave His life freely while we were yet sinners. Love like that doesn't carry an expectation, but it does carry a hope.
Sow your seed in the morning, and at evening let your hands not be idle, for you do not know which will succeed, whether this or that, or whether both will do equally well.~ Ecclesiastes 11:6, NIV


Today and every Tuesday, I want to invite bloggers to link-up any blog posts that will encourage women to joyfully live out their roles as wives and keepers of their homes I'm looking for posts on marriage, parenting, housekeeping, recipes, etc.

All you have to do is enter the direct link from your post into the linky tool below!

I'd also like to ask you to link back here with the Titus 2sday code (below) so that other bloggers can join in too!


You are loved by an almighty God,

Darlene

For comments or questions, contact me at:
darlene[at]darleneschacht.net

Find Time-Warp Wife on facebook: Click here

If you would like to have Time-Warp Wife delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here: Subscribe to Time-Warp Wife

Author of The Good Wife's Guide, now available in paperback.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive