Thursday, April 26, 2012

The Virtue of Self-Control


When we think of virtuous women we often picture them as being loving, generous and kind; women who reach their hand out to the poor, lead their children in faith, and provide food for their family. What I tend to overlook when examining the lives of virtuous women is that they also exhibit a high level of self-control.

Reading Proverbs 31 with that in mind, I can't help but notice that, She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household. (v. 15).

I'm not a morning person so I can't begin to tell you just how impressed I am with that! I'm sure if I was sitting down to have tea with her I'd ask, "What? You get up at what time?!"

Getting up is one thing, but what we're really talking about here is the virtue of self-control. We're all a work-in-progress as we strive to put will over want. Whether it be appetite, over-spending, laziness or losing our temper, we all benefit when we exercise the virtue of self-control.
For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. ~ 2 Peter 1:5-7, NIV
Notice that word in the verse above? Effort. I have good intentions, in fact if good intentions were one dollar bills I'd be a bazillionaire, but I have to say that intentions haven't been enough to make a difference in my life. If we want to kick up our lives a notch, we must be willing to put in the effort to exercise self-control.

If you value a clean home, do the leg work it takes to get there. If you value your faith, then nurture that faith by opening your Bible more often and taking time out to pray. If you value your marriage, actively work on your relationship.

Whatever it is that you're struggling with, make every effort to be self-controlled. That's when you'll notice results!

You are loved by an almighty God,

Darlene

If you'd like to leave a comment, visit Time-Warp Wife on facebook: Click here

If you would like to have Time-Warp Wife delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here: Subscribe to Time-Warp Wife

Check out my book, The Good Wife's Guide: Embracing Your Role as a Help Meet

Visit me at The Better Mom where I'm sharing an article called, "Chivalry is Not Dead--Yet!"



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive