Monday, April 2, 2012

Desiring God - And a Titus 2sday Link up!


Drawn from my archives

I was recently asked what advice I might give to women who are desiring a closer walk with the Lord. I like this question because the answer to it has been on my heart.

I think that the key to deeper intimacy lies in the way that we approach our relationship with Christ. Some women have an affection for God, while others combine that affection with action.





Brethren, I count not myself to have
apprehended: but this one thing I do,
forgetting those things which are behind,
and reaching forth unto those things which
are before, I press toward the mark for
the prize of the high calling of
God in Christ Jesus.
~ Philippians 3:13-14, KJV 






See the difference? The goal calls us to action, while fuzzy warm feelings call us to rest.

Goals are looming mountains that beckon us to overcome them. We have one goal in mind, which Paul refers to as the "mark for the prize of the high calling," and every step we take in faith brings us one step closer to that goal.

How sad it is for those who give up, turn around and climb back down the mountain, because the cost is too high. They'll never experience the reward that those who persevere will once they reach the top. The rich young ruler in Luke 18 is a prime example of that. He was interested in following Christ, but the minute that he was asked to give up something he loved, the Bible tells us that he walked away sorrowful.

I saw a movie last year starring James Franco, called “127 Hours.” Aron Ralston, an experienced twenty-seven-year-old outdoorsman, was on a day’s solitary hike through a remote and narrow Utah canyon when he dislodged an eight-hundred- pound boulder that crushed his right hand and wrist against the canyon wall.

Emerging from the searing pain, Aron found himself completely stuck. No one knew where he was; no one was coming to rescue him. With scant water and food, and a cheap pocketknife his only tool, he eliminated his options one by one. On the fifth night, wracked by delirium and uncontrollable shivers, Aron scratched his epitaph into the rock wall, certain he would not see daylight. (Description from Amazon)

Like the rich young ruler, Aron started out with a will to live, but it wasn’t until the sixth day that he made a life changing decision and puts his will into action, thus gaining his life.






And if thy right hand offend thee,
cut it off, and cast it from thee:
for it is profitable for thee that one
of thy members should perish, and not
that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
~ Matthew 5:30, KJV




Over time I have discovered that it’s the sacrificial steps we make that draw us closest to Him. I can study His word for days on end, but unless I’m willing to take that step of faith where His will overrides mine in every area of my life, then my study isn’t doing me any good.

We are given choices every day, whether big or small that require us to choose the wisdom of God over our desire for personal satisfaction or comfort. I believe that in choosing God we conform to Christ and as a result are drawn into that place of intimate relationship with Him.




That I may know him, and the power of
his resurrection, and the fellowship
of his sufferings, being made
conformable unto his death;
~ Philippians 3:10




I pray that we celebrate the death and resurrection of our Lord by reflecting His life in all that we do--whether it be dying to ourselves daily or worshiping at the foot of the cross. I can't think of a better way to celebrate Easter, can you?

You are loved by an almighty God,

Darlene

For comments or questions, contact me at:
darlene[at]darleneschacht.net

Find Time-Warp Wife on facebook: Click here

If you would like to have Time-Warp Wife delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here: Subscribe to Time-Warp Wife

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive