Monday, January 9, 2012

How to Make Lifestyle Changes and a Titus 2sday Link up!


It's January 9th today which means that some of us who vowed to make change in 2012 are still pressing on while others have already thrown in the towel. Throwing in the towel is something that most of us can understand. Some call it giving up while others call it yielding to the flesh.

This isn't a new concept by any stretch of the imagination. In fact Paul wrote about this very thing in his letter to the Romans, chapter 7.
We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. ~ Romans 7:14-15, NIV


I can relate. I always have the best of intentions when it comes to my life, but as sure as the day is long, I succumb to the flesh and give up. I don't even bother making resolutions any longer, because I know that I'll feel like a failure by January 3rd. As soon as the going gets tough, I jump ship.

So how do we overcome our desire to serve the flesh? The answer is found in Romans chapter 8, which is a complete contrast to chapter 7. We live by the Spirit:
Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. ~ Romans 8:5, NIV
Now I understand that some of you must be totally confused. How can living by the Spirit release us from our bondage to the flesh?

Jesus is the one who releases us from the bondage of sin and death. And there is nothing that we can do to earn that for ourselves. Salvation is a gift. But as long as we're living in this earthly temple, we will constantly face temptation and a desire to serve the flesh. That's what I'm talking about today--the flesh. While we're here on this earth, we have a choice, we can yield to the flesh and go through that cycle of guilt and a feeling of failure time and again, or we can start walking in freedom.

Walking in freedom is two-fold:

1. We allow the Spirit to transform our mind, so that we live according to our convictions.
2. We are willing to sacrifice our desires to live a life that God desires for us.
Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. ~ Romans 12:1-2, NIV
What really makes the difference in ones life is merely wanting to do something vs. living by conviction. If you keep on stumbling in an area such as weight loss, housekeeping, or good Bible study habits stop and ask yourself the reason that you're making this change. Is it merely because you want to, or is it because you feel that this is a necessary step for you to take.

Take out a paper and write down each one of the reasons that this change is important to you. Because unless you have a valid reason, you probably won't stick to the plan. Once you have decided that this is a good change for you and one that is pleasing to God, then get down on your knees and pray.

Praying is one of the best ways that we can renew our mind. Each and every time we pray, we are emptying ourselves before God so that He can work on transforming our minds. 1 Peter 1:13 talks about preparing our mind for action so that we can live holy lives until the coming of our Lord.

There is so much more I could share on this topic, but I'll stop here and save it for another day. Until then, ladies--choose well!

You are loved by an almighty God,

Darlene

If you'd like to leave a comment, visit Time-Warp Wife on facebook: Click here

If you would like to have Time-Warp Wife delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here: Subscribe to Time-Warp Wife

Linking up with: Narrow Way Wife

And:





Today and every Tuesday, I want to invite bloggers to link-up any blog posts that will encourage women to joyfully live out their roles as wives and keepers of their homes I'm looking for posts on marriage, parenting, housekeeping, or recipes.

1. Enter the direct link from your post into the linky tool below!

2. Please link back here with the {TITUS 2}SDAYS code (below) so that other bloggers can join in too!

3. Enjoy each other's fellowship, and have fun!

FAQ:
Can I use an old post, or do I need to use a current one?
You can absolutely use an older post if you feel that the post is a great fit for this meme. Have fun!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive