Saturday, October 29, 2011

What a Day That Will Be


As my dad is walking through the last hours of his life I'm reminded of a day in October 2010. He called to tell me that he had been diagnosed with lung cancer and that it had metastasized to his brain. Immediately after giving me the news he started to sing over the phone.

There is coming a day when no heartaches shall come.
No more clouds in the sky, no more tears to dim the eye.
All is peace forevermore on that happy golden shore,
What a day, glorious day that will be...

Tears streamed down my face as I hung onto every word.

This past weekend I took a quick trip to Hershey, Pennsylvania, and while I was there I found out that once again his health was failing fast. I called my mom and asked her if she could put the telephone to Dad's ear. Knowing that he has lost his ability to speak this past year, I opened my mouth and began to sing...

There'll be no sorrow there, no more burdens to bear,
No more sickness, no pain, no more parting over there;
And forever I will be with the One who died for me,
What a day, glorious day that will be...

Last night I rushed home from Pennsylvania, tears pouring down my face for hours on end until I finally reached his bedside and took in the smile that spread accross his weary face. His frail hand reached out for mine, and in that holy place where kindred spirits blend we held on tightly for as long as we could. Then I knew that he needed to rest.

Yes--he could go home any hour now, but through the tears there's one thing I know for sure... God's grace is more than sufficient for me.

You are loved by an almighty God,

Darlene

If you'd like to leave a comment, visit Time-Warp Wife on facebook: Click here

If you would like to have Time-Warp Wife delivered to your inbox daily, simply click here: Subscribe to Time-Warp Wife

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Blog Archive